My husband is a buyer on a auto loan the cobuyer has

Customer Question
My husband is a...

My husband is a buyer on a auto loan the cobuyer has possession of the car.she has stopped making payments.the repo man has been looking for the car she has hung up on him and will not answer calls to her she is literally avoiding the repo I believe she has registered the car in another state she also has many addresses is there any legal action we can take against my husbands credit is going down and we will not pay for a car she has.i am in connecticut

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Ok

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Connecticut is the state .the car is a 2011 kia optima with a balance of approx.14000.00

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The bank has hired a repo man but she is avoiding him

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/21/2017
Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Marsha411JD, Attorney

Thank you for the information and your question. Unless your husband can do more to assist the lender in finding this vehicle so that they can repossess it, then he is just as liable as she is for the loan amount. In other words, if it isn't repossessed, he owes this money to the lender. If he doesn't pay, then he can be sued for the amount due and any legal and collection expenses. It doesn't matter that he doesn't possess the car, only that he was a borrower on the loan.

On the other hand, if he goes ahead and pays on the loan, then he can sue this other party for any amount that they owe on the loan and that he, in turn ends of paying. But, just to be clear, he can't get out of the loan now and owes the lender under the loan for the entire amount due. His only recourse is against the coborrower. Therefore, he might want to consider the two options I mentioned above.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could reply to this answer and let me know that I covered your question, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 21st. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me, even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at:http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.