A person who helps admin a group on facebook that posts

Customer Question
A person who helps...

A person who helps admin a group on facebook that posts statistics they gather about crime rates. If group members ever question or comment, they are attacked, and worse, the admins begin to post background information to the group discussion, and use hateful and abusive speech. They also have members who are encouraged by the admin's posting the content to attack people that do not agree with them. Another group page is where I began to see that I was not alone, that some of the threats had led offline to physical confrontations and so forth. Facebooks online terms of use say the prohibit this behavior. Today one of the group admins posted my likeness on the wall, and other members started insinuating violence because I told other former members that you can anonymously report any group to facebook for hateful speech, especially after what I had heard from others online talking about their experiences. What are the laws for california, mexico baja, and international that are pertinent in protective areas of hate speech.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are they in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have they taken so far?

Facebook? Nothing yet, they say they have a 3 day window to respond. My intuition is that i cant be the only one who has complained and reported the group.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That I want to know advice as to how to build a summary of information that I can submit to facebook in greater detail, and I also want to know what laws are being broken in regard to posting my likeness online and others talking about violent innuendos because I had told other members of another group who are more senior than me and not as aware with computers how to report a group if they felt abused, many people, at least 25 people expressed similar stories that seem clearly against facebook's terms.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/21/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Ok

Thank you for your patience. I'm sorry for the substantial delay in responding. I was having internet connectivity issues and had to leave the office unexpectedly so please forgive me. Regardless, your issues here may be a bit different than you're assuming. Normally, when it comes to free speech, it relates to the government regulations regarding speech; not private speech on private Facebook groups. This doesn't mean that people are free from a cause of action for their behavior.

If someone is saying hateful and untrue things about you online, then this to me sounds like a case of defamation. Defamation is basically a false and defamatory statement, published to a third party, that causes harm (usually a lessened reputation in the community, lost business opportunity, or other harms as the facts dictate.)

Although I don't know the full extent of what was the supposed defamatory statement, run the alleged statements through that analysis to see if it fits. In addition, you may be able to press charges under Cal Penal Code section 646.9 which prohibits online stalking. I don't know if anyone is stalking you, but if they're harassing you online and making credible threats, they can be imprisoned or fined.

What other questions did you have for me?

Tina, Lawyer