This is related to business contracts and what constitutes…

This is related to...

This is related to business contracts and what constitutes assignment. Is a transfer of stock (60%) considered an assignment under NY State law? There is not change in the existing company or persons performing under the contracts.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet. The contract is governed by NY law.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We're trying to determine if the stock transfer requires advance notice and approval under the contract. The clause states "The rights, obligations, and other interests of Supplier shall not be assigned by Supplier, in whole or in part, without the prior written consent

12/20/2017
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Just to clarify, there is no change in the parties and the agreement itself was not assigned, only the ownership of one of the corporate parties to the agreement?

Correct. No change in the parties. The company is selling 60% of the stock. Current members of the board remain on the board. New stock holders will assign two additional board members. The company selling the stock is not changing it's name, day-to-day management does not change, etc.

Thank you for the additional information,

Unless the contract provides otherwise, a transfer in the stock ownership of the corporate party to an agreement will change the enforceability of the agreement.

Nor is it treated as an an assignment of the actual agreement. The shareholders are not the same as the corporate entity and the agreement just continues seamlessly against the corporation, with its new shareholder.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Are you still online with me?

Loren, Attorney
Phone call session started