Is there a certain limit for a bank to refund me money

Customer Question
stolen due to identity theft...
Is there a certain limit for a bank to refund me money stolen due to identity theft? I lost $36,000 and the proof is clearly identity theft from my bank statements and it has a address from California which I live in NJ. It has someone’s name on their which was the person who received payments l. They also opened a bank account under my name and I don’t understand how if banks ask for proof of address.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/20/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

It depends on how quickly you spot the identity theft and report it to the bank. If you catch the fraud right away and report it within 2 days, the most that you would lose would be $50 and all the rest would be the bank's liability. From there, the longer you take to find the fraud, the less the bank is required to repay. If you wait more than 2 days, but less than 60 to report the fraud, the bank is liable for anything beyond $500. After 60 days, however, if you're first reporting the fraud, the bank is not legally required to reimburse you anything.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.