Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I want to bring with me two bags of Starbucks Christmas

Customer Question
I want to bring...

I want to bring with me two bags of Starbucks Christmas coffee and wonder if this is considered "food stuff" and should be handcarried rather than packed in my checked luggage.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Seattle, Wa

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Being from Seatle, home of Starbucks, I thought it nice to bring Christmas coffee to help out the family gathering. Is this considered food stuff, causing luggage to be opened and inspected? Or, should I handcarry the two bags of coffee.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
12/20/2017
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

Ground coffee is considered food stuff and thus, is subject to federal rules and regulations. You can take it with you, but it would be subject to limitations like any other food. Depending on how much of it you have, you may be better off putting it into checked luggage.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law