My ex-husband can't find the papers necessary for me to get…

Customer Question
My ex-husband can't find...

My ex-husband can't find the papers necessary for me to get the 5 certificates of occupancy so I can sell the house, ... the house is in my name

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

NY

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Moved out of the house with my daughter into an apartment, since he has his business at the old house

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He planned to pay half the current mortgage & has not done so, and just notified me that he can't afford to do so and that the house will be going into foreclosure

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

He has taken a $600,000 loan against the house without my signature.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
12/20/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

You can print a copy of a building’s CO from any computer. Use the Buildings Information System at https://www1.nyc.gov/site/buildings/homeowner/certificate-of-occupancy.page to look up the property. In the building’s profile, the “View Certificates of Occupancy” link will display the CO.

You can also obtain a copy of a Certificate of Occupancy from the Department’s Customer Service Counter in your borough office.

Please let me know if that answers your question.

If you don't need any additional information, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question so that I receive credit for working with you. It DOES NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively. 5 STARS ★★★★★ is always appreciated! If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You can still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney