In tennessee is allowable for an ABC server to consume

Customer Question
In tennessee is allowable...

In tennessee is allowable for an ABC server to consume alcohol behind the bar if out of sight

Lawyer's Assistant: Has the server talked to a TN lawyer about this?

No I can't find that info online either

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has the server taken so far?

Just online search

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is all

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
12/20/2017
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

The answer is that there is no law prohibiting drinking alcohol on the job (in private or in front of customers), however, it is still a bad idea. The person that holds the server permit must keep a clear head, to avoid jeopardizing TN laws, such as:

1. Serving two or more drinks or containers of alcoholic beverages to a consumer at one time.
  2. Selling, offer to sell, or delivering to any person or group of persons any drinks that are priced less than the price regularly charged for that drink in that size, except at private functions not open to the public; or
  3. Increasing the volume of alcohol contained in any such drink without increasing proportionately the price regularly charged for such drink.
  4. Offering or delivering any free alcoholic beverage or wine to any person or group of
    persons.
  5. Offering or delivering unlimited drinks of wine or alcoholic beverages for a fixed price if the actual cost of all ingredients, including the alcohol and all applicable taxes, of the drinks actually served to a customer exceeds the fixed price charged.
  6. Awarding any wine or alcoholic beverages as a prize or free drink or encouraging or conducting any game or contest which involves drinking or uses wine or alcohol as a prize or free drink.

Etc.

So while it is done (and actually more often than TN would like), doing this will often lead to problems. So while it is not disallowed, it is nonetheless considered bad practice.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.