We must monthly payments to my husband's ex-wife. These are…

Customer Question
We must monthly payments...

We must monthly payments to my husband's ex-wife. These are court ordered but not part of child support and we are not able to do this through the state. My husband's ex wife would not acknowledge that she received these payments by check and it took her weeks and months to cash them so we sent money orders. It was a hassle to call Western Union repeatedly to make sure they had been cashed so we started paying $6 for return receipt request through USPS. The payments were returned to us when she stopped signing for them. At the advice of another attorney we sent them to her attorney but through text that my husband did not acknowledge, the ex-wife told him to stop sending the payments to her attorney. He had already mailed the current one.The ex-wife then sent a screenshot of a text message conversation between she and her attorney asking the attorney to send the payments back to us. What can we do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Please read my question thoroughly+

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

MO

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

These payments are for out-of-pocket expenses that were part of a child support modification agreement put in place in Feb. 2016

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/20/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Sure. Please review.

Great, thank you! Bear with me a moment while I review…

Sorry. I can't afford $59.

Have you had a judge intervene in this situation regarding the manner of payment?

I told you....this is a court ordered payment. It must be paid monthly.

I'm sorry, but it seems like the manner of payment, not the fact that it must be paid, seems to be the issue. From what I gather, the ex-wife does not like receiving it through her attorney and it has been a hassle through Wester Union. Is that correct? So, my main question is whether the court order stipulates how (not whether) the money should be paid.

Here is what the court order says: "The parties have agreed that Respondent shall pay to Petitioner the sum of $5000 in full settlement of those unreimbursed out-of-pocket expenses. Respondent shall satisfy this obligation in monthly payments in the amount of $75".In another part of the decree it states: "Petitioner agrees to provide a written receipt to Respondent for each and every payment provided to her by Respondent". To date we have not received one receipt.

I see what you mean. So, if that is the case, then it is probable that she is in contempt of court. Contempt of court means that you are doing something against the wishes of the court, particularly through a court order. You may need to have him file a motion for contempt to get the court to force her to turn over the receipts. If you click here, you can download a guide to help you file the motion. You'd take it to the court, file it, pay the fee, and then serve it on the ex. There may be other local forms that are required as well so be sure to check with the court clerk. The court may fine the ex for failing to provide receipts. Does that make sense?