I was appointed personal repr of my sister's estate who left…

Customer Question
I was appointed personal...

I was appointed personal repr of my sister's estate who left no will. Is there a law stating that all heirs get the same amount of money, or can I determine the amount each should get. And, is there a law stating that all heirs should get a copy of my sister's finance sheet?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

The State of Maryland.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I've open the Estate; prepared an interim report and is now preparing the final report.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/20/2017
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. When there is no will, each state has an intestate succession law governing how "probate" assets are to be distributed. Certain assets pass outside probate and thus are not governed by these intestate succession laws. These include the following: i) joint brokerage and bank accounts which vest automatically in the surviving owner upon the death of one owner; ii) real property held as joint tenants or tenants by the entirety, which also vest automatically in the surviving owner upon the death of one owner; and iii) assets with designated beneficiaries other than the estate such as life insurance and retirement accounts.

Any other assets are probate assets and would be governed by the State of Maryland's intestate succession law. You can find the order of priority, depending upon whether there was a surviving spouse, any children, siblings, etc. You can find the rules at this link: https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/estates-and-trusts/title-3/subtitle-1/

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Attorney