I am trying to obtain the legal definition of standby pay:

Customer Question
Hello, I am trying...

Hello, I am trying to obtain the legal definition of standby pay:

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Just an HR matter;

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I ascertain that an employee can not claim standby during normal business hours; because we have people on site to take care of any issues; in addition the employee went to the dentist and was paid sick leave, paid for unproductive time and I claim he should not

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
12/20/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

On call or standby pay is defined in CA as follows: “the time during which an employee is subject to the control of an employer, and includes all the time the employee is suffered or permitted to work, whether required to do so or not.”https://www.calchamber.com/hrcalifornia/hr-library/pay-scheduling/wages-salaries/pages/on-call-and-standby-pay.aspx

Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question - by selecting the appropriate number of stars - so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be happy to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively (3, 4, 5 stars - 5 stars is definitely appreciated!). It does NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your questions.

But not during normal business hours right? I would not pay an employee to standby during normal business hours because they are physically on site, is that correct?

No - it wouldn't have anything to do with whether it's during normal business hours. It only has to do with requiring an employee to work OR be available to work. Think of it this way: if an employee says "you can't go to Disney World b/c you *may* need to come in" that could qualify as standby pay. Obviously I'm oversimplifying but you get the idea. IF they are on site getting paid then they're getting paid... whether to work or be available to work. I wish I could tell you otherwise but that is the law and, believe me while I don't always love what the law is, I'm not doing you any favors if I don't actually tell you what it is.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney