Can a person get a civil union if they are married to a

Customer Question
Can a person get...

Can a person get a civil union if they are married to a different person

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are they in? It matters because laws vary by location.

PA.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have they taken so far?

My wife who I am still married to made the mistake I think of posting on Face book that she has a civil union now with guy she is with

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/20/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

I'm sorry - can you please clarify. Are you essentially asking if your wife can be the equivalent of married to two people?

She as posted that she has a civil union with the guy she is with but is still married to me
She has posted that she has a civil union with guy she is with but is still married to me

And you and your wife are in PA correct?

Pennsylvania does not recognize civil unions so she essentially has... nothing... with this person.

She can claim all she wants that she has a civil union but if the state does not recognize them - she doesn't. And, in any case, she is MARRIED, so enterin ginto any other legal relationship (assuming it was legal given the state) would be ILLEGAL.

Is there anything I can file against her for it

On what basis? Are you in the middle of a divorce?

No but I pay her support and she is on my medical and 401K which i'm told I can't get her off without divorce

What is the actual status of your marriage? Separated, etc.? If you're paying her support, whether or not you continue has to do with what you guys agreed to. As I said, there's no legal status of civil union in PA so she can't have that - BUT you can potentially argue that she has the equivalent of another marriage - IF that is a particular contingency for eliminating support in your case.

Does that answer your question? I wish I could tell you otherwise but that is the law and, believe me while I don't always love what the law is, I'm not doing you any favors if I don't actually tell you what it is.

No my son turns 18 in a week and I just want to file charges if I can this women took off with my son and it took me 3 months to find her and she was living with another guy.
the charges you would potentially file would be a return of your child although with an 18 year old (almost) it might be an exercise in frustration. Essentially, the court could say both parents have access and right to go where they want to go with the child’s. Does that make sense? I understand what you’re trying to do – I’m just not so sure you’ll be happy with the results and the expense at the end of the day so I want you to know what the law actually is on the subject (since we can’t actually give you legal advice on what to do or not do).
Thank You
It’s my pleasure. I wish I could give you more “good” news.