I was filmed for an assignment in a college class. During…

Customer Question
I was filmed for...

I was filmed for an assignment in a college class. During the assignment my jeans slipped down below my buttocks without my knowledge. The professor posted the video for the assignment on what she says is a private you tube channel just for the class. I did not sign a release to allow the video to be posted, but I did know she intended to do so. They are only offering an apology, which I agreed to should a university representative be present. The instructor will face no disciplinary action, which I feel is warranted.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Am I able to take action? Should I? I feel violated.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just wrote them saying I was upset and met with the department chair. No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/19/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Can I ask you a question - WHY do you feel that the instructor should face disciplinary action?

I understand your embarrassment - but on what basis do you believe the instructor should face disciplinary action.

She claims that she did not know that my buttocks were exposed even though she had viewed the video. My buttocks are exposed for about 01:30. I am a teacher, and if I had posted this video I would be in jail. My students are minors, but the first responsibility of any teacher is to create a safe and secure learning environment. She did not do this- by not thoroughly reviewing the video she exposed me to potential ridicule.
Furthermore, I never agreed in writing to allow the video to be posted.

And, I agree with you - as far as the potential ridicule and embarrassment goes. The question then becomes "did she have a duty to review the video in its entirety before posting it" - and no such duty exists. In addition, one teacher does not owe a duty to another teacher. And then also (and I hate to be the bearer of bad news here) but if you were part of the video making process - meaning you knew the video was being made - she does not need to get your permission in writing to post it. I wish I could tell you otherwise but that is the law and, believe me while I don't always love what the law is, I'm not doing you any favors if I don't actually tell you what it is.