Must a petitioner or respondent be on the witness list in…

Customer Question
Must a petitioner or...

Must a petitioner or respondent be on the witness list in order to give testimony?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Arizona. I employment case where the supervisor terminated an employee and is asked to testify without being on the witness list.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

A witness list has been filed, but petitioner is not on the list.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
12/19/2017
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 8 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", "where is my answer", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

Typically, no. A party isn't required to be on the witness list to be able to testify. Occasionally you will have a judge who will rule differently, but the majority allow parties to testify without being specifically identified.

However, it is a practice of most good attorneys to list them anyway. There is no harm in listing a party as a witness and it is better to be safe and list them than to take a chance on a judge who is in the minority ruling against you.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

.