In New York State if someone is on your property uninvited,

Customer Question
In New York State...

In New York State if someone is on your property uninvited, is it legal to ask them to leave and if they don't to call the police?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have they talked to a NY lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have they taken so far?

None, need to know what to do if this person comes back again

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes. Can a grandparent have to pay to support a son's child?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
12/19/2017
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago

Yes, absolutely.

If they don't leave, you can call the police. They would be guilty of the crime of trespassing. They could be arrested and charged with a misdemeanor offense, punishable by jail time and/or a fine.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones