Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I wonder if it is legal for an insurance company to seek…

Customer Question
I wonder if it...

I wonder if it is legal for an insurance company to seek commissions back from agent after the agent has long stopped working there and people cancelled policies

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

CA I am being harrassed by a "collection" agency

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don't know? A collection agency is that says they are a law firm call call call

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The practices of this company were so unethical and deceptive I had to leave

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
12/19/2017
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

If your commission paid to you was part of your employment contract, then no your old employer cannot now seek to have that money repaid to them.

That would constitute a breach of contract on their part.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

is it possible for me to sue for harrassement
no i dont want any further charges
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) is a federal law prohibiting debt collectors from engaging in abusive or deceptive bill collection practices.

You can file a complaint with the California Attorney General's Public Inquiry Unit at this link:

https://oag.ca.gov/consumers

Yes, you could also sue as well.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

The phone call request is auto generated by the site, so you can disregard it if it's not something you're interested in at this time.

I've typed your answer and sent it above.

Please remember to click 'Finish' and leave a positive rating so that I can be credited for my help with your question. 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones