Generall inhereted property is not maritable proerty. Are…

Customer Question
Generall inhereted property is...

Generall inhereted property is not maritable proerty. Are there exceptions

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

SC

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

Just beginning divorce

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Under what specific conditions is inherited property maritable property?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/19/2017
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help! Give me just a few minutes to type up some information for you, thanks!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Yes, there are exceptions to the rule.

Generally any inheritances are not considered marital property.

However if funds are commingled, or if property goes through transmutation, then it can be considered marital property.

For example, if the inheritance is funds and is deposited into a joint account, used and accessed jointly by both spouses, then it very likely will be considered marital property.

With regards ***** ***** home, or other real property, if it is lived in by both parties, if both parties contribute to the mortgage, or if the other spouse otherwise pays bills, utilities, or gives finances to the repair or improvement of the house, then it very likely can be considered marital property.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!