I live in illinois....i was out of work starting in february…

Customer Question
I live in illinois....i...

I live in illinois....i was out of work starting in february until my new job I started in aug.... i built up arrears as I didnt know what I needed to do...i pay two child support payments...now child support is being about to be taken out of my check at $1000 x2 twice a month....that wont leave me enough to live on.... is there anything I can do about the arears and is there something to more than half our check cant be taken from you?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Ummm not that I know of...oh on the one child support...i also pay $500 a check for day care outside of whats taken out for CS directly

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/19/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Once Child Support Enforcement is involved, they become relentless. What you need to do in this instance is first send a written request to CS Enforcement explaining they are taking more than the maximum allowed 50% from your check and asking that it be reduced. If they are NOT taking more than 50%, then you have to file a motion to reduce garnishment in the local court where the child support was ordered and ask the court to reduce the amount of the garnishment based on "significant change in financial circumstances" and "severe financial hardship" created by them taking so much out of your check and you would need to present a proposed repayment plan to the court that would be your proposal of a fair amount to pay off the arrears. Those are your options with child support, since the law considers child support payments to be such a serious debt.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.