I am a specialist physician in California. I get patients…

Customer Question
I am a specialist...

I am a specialist physician in California. I get patients from primary care providers. How expensive a gift can I give to the referring physicians and the staff. Is there any limit on amount I can spend for the referring physicin's office lunch?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
12/19/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

What you want to avoid as the appearance of impropriety - the appearance that you're gifting in exchange for referrals. It's very subjective of course. The best way I can answer your question is as follows: front row Knicks tickets for the entire office is going to create the appearance of impropriety to a MUCH greater extent than a large baset of muffins and chocolate chip cookies. So, you'll want to use your judgment - but maybe keep it at an amount that won't raise eyebrows. If it were me, I'd say $50 to $100 but that's merely my personal opinion - not a legal one. As far as a lunch (and I just noticed you were specifically asking about a lunch) buying Panera Bread for the office would be different than taking the office out to a $100-per steak lunch. Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question - by selecting the appropriate number of stars - so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be happy to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively (3, 4, 5 stars - 5 stars is definitely appreciated!). It does NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your questions.