I am trying to get health insurance and am having issues.

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to get health insurance and am having issues. Some how it is showing up that I am currently incarcerated. I am not nor have I ever been. How do I clear my name ? Could this be identity theft?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Last year I complied with all the healthcare marketplace requests but was continuosly denied due to the false incarceration but that is all I have done. The local jail said there was nothing they could do to help

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
12/19/2017
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

Yes, it's possible that this could be an issue of identity theft.

Give me just a few minutes to type up some additional information for you, thanks!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

If this is a case of identity theft, you may want to consider contacting the one of the three major credit bureaus (Experian, TransUnion, or Equifax) by phone and have an initial fraud alert placed on your account.

If you do find that some fraudulent activity has taken place with your finances, you can file a police report and submit a copy of your credit report along with it.

You can also contact the FBI and request a personal clearance letter -- this should demonstrate that you in fact are not the person showing up on the initial background check as having been incarcerated.

The FBI clearance is done by use of you fingerprints and should be sufficient to help clear the matter up for health insurance, housing issues, etc.

Follow this link to find the instructions and forms for applying for your FBI clearance letter:

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones