Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

To what extent can emails between parties who are Plaintiffs…

Customer Question
To what extent can emails...
To what extent can emails between parties who are Plaintiffs in a lawsuit become available to a defendant?
Scenario: Plaintiffs disputing the second wife's successful disinheriting of them in their dead father's will are suing on the basis of "undue influence". The Defendant may be requesting the emails between the Plaintiffs. Does the law permit this?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/19/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Barring things like attorney-client privilege or other fiduciary duty (which would not apply between siblings generally) the defendants would be entitled to any relevant communications related to the subject matter of the litigation. I wish I could tell you otherwise but that is the law and, believe me while I don't always love what the law is, I'm not doing you any favors if I don't actually tell you what it is.

Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question - by selecting the appropriate number of stars - so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be happy to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively (3, 4, 5 stars - 5 stars is definitely appreciated!). It does NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your questions.

I just looked up your questions... You and I worked together on 10/17 ad 10/28. It's nice to see you again! :-)

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney