What law states that a police officer must document when he…

Customer Question
What law states that...

What law states that a police officer must document when he calibrates a laser spped device

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Michigan .August 25 2017

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I got a speeding ticket and my next formal district court date is January 10 2018 and last cort date.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The Taylor MI police record division and city clerk told me they do not document when they calibrate a speed device.though Ferracy case said they must check the device at the beginning and end of every shift. It is also in the Mcole standards. The Judge said I can not make the police officer answer a discovery in a traffic case.Is this true?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/19/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. Generally, the police are not required to document when they calibrate their speed device. It's similar to cleaning their gun or fixing their cruiser; it's not something that is always going to be documented because it's just a part of the general operations of the police department. You may be able to get a copy of the officer's notes in some cases, but that depends on the type of speeding case you're involved in. Many times, unless it is a trial, you can't do discovery. if your request is ignored or denied, you may need to appeal if a judge finds against you. What other questions did you have for me regarding this?

Tina, Lawyer