Was subpoenaed to testify in Grand Jury case, government.

Customer Question
Was subpoenaed to testify...

Was subpoenaed to testify in Grand Jury case, government. Defendent pleaded guilty on Monday. Should I have had to testify on Tuesday?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Ohio He was charged with embezzlement & money laundering. We had sold a home to him land contract for a year @ $400,000.00

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Had a lawyer for the case 2 1/2 yrs ago. Same charges this time didn’t get lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I was just curious if I had to testify all over now.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/19/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 5 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. How do you know he took a plea on Monday?

I asked a FBI agent because I didn’t see him in court. He advised he had pleaded guilty on Monday
No, this is fine. Just want to know if I had to testify on Tuesday legally. Thx

Thank you. If the case has been resolved you should not have to appear and testify, since this should be closed out. However, only the prosecutor can dismiss you and if the subpoena was served and still active, it would technically need to be complied with. In a situation like this, you need to call them and confirm that you are no longer required to appear since only they can dismiss you. Legally you would need to since you are under a court order to appear until they say otherwise

Just didn’t make sense to my testifying if he already plead guilty. Especially since they asked the same questions that they asked 2 1/2 yrs ago

Yes, I agree. It could be all done and closed out but until the prosecutor confirms this, you technically would be obligated to appear. Even though you asked an FBI agent, the prosecutor is who you need to speak with and who will advise of the same. You could take the chance and just not show but be aware that if they do want and need you, you can get in trouble for failing to appear which is why you need to speak with the prosecutor to confirm you are dismissed and no longer required to do so.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

LegalKnowledge, Attorney