My brother farms my 100acre farm on cash rent. He only paid…

Customer Question
My brother farms my...

My brother farms my 100acre farm on cash rent. He only paid me for 85acres due to rain preventing planting. I say he owes me the whole 100 acres. Last year he planted the 100 acres.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

We are in an llc

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
12/19/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 5 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

If the agreement is, he rents the 100 acre farm, then he needs to pay for the entire acre. He still has exclusive possession and control of the 15 acres he couldn't plant, so he has to pay for them. You can't rent that portion of the property to someone else because of your existing agreement. And you didn't make it rain or otherwise prevent him from planting. There is no basis here for him to refuse to pay for that 15 percent unless the property was so destroyed by rain that no one could use it (for any purpose, not just planting).

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply WITHOUT RATING so I may address them. My goal is to provide you with excellent customer service. Otherwise, please rate my answer positively so I get credit for assisting you today. Mobile users may have to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this answer?

Lucy, Esq., Attorney