I️ had a personal bankruptcy and did not know there would be…

Customer Question
I️ had a personal...

I️ had a personal bankruptcy and did not know there would be an issue in selling my home. The realtor is now trying to sue me sa

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Hi I️ had a personal bankruptcy and did not know this would cause an issue selling my home. The contract fell apart. The buyers realtor is now trying to sue me saying I️ fraudulent withheld this and should have disclosed this at reh

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes it was about to close

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I️ didn’t know this was an issue. The House was on the market for years. I️ am divorced from my spouse also

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
nj
The realtor is saying this was fraudulent and wants me to pay him 10,000 dollars
It was the buyers who backed out when they were informed due to the bankruptcy the house could not close until the bankruptcy was discharged which would be a few more months. So this realtor lost his commission. There were multiple contingencies due to this which also fell apart. Do you think this realtor has any grounds for this law suit? I️ did not fraudulently withhold the bankruptcy. I️ actually do not even live in the house. My ex husband does but it’s my personal bankruptcy and there is not even a lien on the house. I️ didn’t even think it was a problem in selling.
We’ve listed with multiple realtors and it was never even brought up.
12/19/2017
Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hi. I'm sorry to hear about this problem. how can I help you? do you have any questions about the situation?

Hello again. I now see your question about whether the agent may have a case against you. Unfortunately, it's quite possible that the agent would have a viable case against you. if the agent did a lot of work and was otherwise entitled to a commission, then he may have a case against you since he did this work and it was never possible to sell the property due to the bankruptcy.

My suggestion would be to hire an attorney if you are actually sued.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, and you haven't yet rated me, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.