Contractor signed a Paid in Full receipt I made up. After he…

Customer Question
Contractor signed a Paid...

Contractor signed a Paid in Full receipt I made up. After he sign it he sid I owned him additional $1,000 dollars. Do I have a case?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Landing, New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He keep coming to my house for several month harassing me I pay the additional thousand then found the receipt, sent him the copy to him and he wrote a slightly nasty letter back to me and said he would repay because he earned it.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/18/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

This appears to be a classic breach of contract on the grounds that you have already paid up and he is asking for more money. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can download the forms right after purchasing. Click here to get started.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?