A friend was driving my vehicle and got arrested for

Customer Question
A friend was driving...

A friend was driving my vehicle and got arrested for shoplifting the police towed it is that legal

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Prescott Valley Arizona and on the 14th or 15th of this month

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I haven't I'm just trying to find out if it was legal or not

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The vehicle is still in my sister's name who lives in another state so it's going to be hard for me to get it without power of attorney I guess

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
12/18/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks very much for your patience. I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. So, generally, the police can tow the vehicle if they believe that it may have contributed to a crime. This means that you (or the person who committed the act) may be responsible for any impound fees. i'm very sorry to hear about your situation, but did you have any other questions for me at all?

No go ahead

Thanks! Did you get a chance to see my response?

basically what your telling me is if that's how she got to the store then it was legally towed

Yes, unfortunately. If they were connected with a crime, they may have towed it. It's possible they may have been looking for contraband or other stolen items that may be in the car so many times they will go ahead and tow it to the nearest tow yard or the police department. I'm very sorry. What other questions did you have for me?

None, this would be why the so called justice is a joke and why people don't like law enforcement

i can certainly understand your concern. Have you gotten it out of the tow yard just yet?

No I'm still trying to find it. The police department gave me a number for the tow yard that supposedly towed it but when I called they said they don't have it.

I'm sorry to hear that. Generally, they're required to tell you where the vehicle is placed. You may want to consider working up the command chain at the police department because it's possible that they're just not checking. If they lost your vehicle, then there is a different cause of action for which they would be liable. Did you have any other questions for me at all?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further before you rated. If you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know.