Can a creditor freeze your bank account without a court

Customer Question
Can a creditor freeze...

Can a creditor freeze your bank account without a court order

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the court order was issued in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Money was taken out my account for legal fees, but when i call the county they don't have anything on fill

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/18/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Most creditors need a court order to access your bank account. The state and federal government can impose liens for things like unpaid taxes without a court order. Banks can take funds out of one account to pay for money owed on another - as long as it's part of the user agreement you signed when you opened the account. Almost everyone else needs a court order.

Your bank should have a levy department, also called Legal Order Processing Department. They should have mailed you a notice on the same day they froze the account. You can also call them to get more information about who took the money and why.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply WITHOUT RATING so I may address them. My goal is to provide you with excellent customer service. Otherwise, please rate my answer positively so I get credit for assisting you today. Mobile users may have to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Have not received anything from the bank, and the county were i live don't have anything on record

They would never notify you in advance, because they're not allowed. If your account was just frozen, they would have put the notice in the mail today.

Again, call your bank and ask to talk to the legal order processing department. They can tell you what it is. A creditor didn't necessarily file a lawsuit in the county where you live, or it might be in a different court than the one you called.

Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago

Do you have any other questions about this?