My mother watches my children for free. I realize no money…

Customer Question
My mother watches my...

My mother watches my children for free. I realize no money changes hands but are there tax consequences I should be aware of? Good or bad. Are there benefits we are missing out on by not exchanging money for services?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. She has been watching my children for 7 years....For Free! Amazing woman!

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
12/18/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

You are very fortunate as I'm sure you know (but I'm sure your mother considers herself the lucky one!).

If there is "bartering" then the fair market value (arms length transaction) would be reported on the caregiver's income.

But if it is a personal relationship-ie no compensation and simply providing care for one's family, then there is nothing to tax as that is not a business relationship.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

If I were to compensate her financially how would the transaction have to documented?

Information for the caregiver:

Childcare providers. If you provide childcare, either in the child's home or in your home or other place of business, the pay you receive must be included in your income. If you aren’t an employee, you are probably self­employed and must include payments for your services on Schedule C (Form 1040), or Schedule C­EZ (Form 1040). You generally aren’t an employee unless you are subject to the will and control of the person who employs you as to what you are to do and how you are to do it. Babysitting. If you babysit for relatives or neighborhood children, whether on a regular basis or only periodically, the rules for childcare providers apply to you.

page 3:https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p525.pdf

Here is a tax guide:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p926

Please see the tables on

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p926

because that discusses how a parent is exempt from having certain taxes withheld.

The transaction would normally be documented via a paycheck listing the gross and then the deductions.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer