Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I received a text message from the office of Kent stating…

Customer Question
I received a text...

I received a text message from the office of Robert Kent stating that three criminal allegations against me 1. violation of federal banking rules and regulation. 2. theft by deception. 3. breach the contract with with loan company. company name speedy cash , honestly i dont remember doing that before. the attorney office texted me i will be arrested do they have the right to text something like that? i am scared

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Florida today at 10:52am

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know why they threat me like that?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
12/18/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 2 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

This is a common scam. There happens to be a lawyer by that name licensed to practice law in Florida, but he works in taxes, and wouldn't be involved in anything like this. Also, he goes by his middle name. It's a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act to tell someone they'll go to ail for non-payment of a debt.

attorney ph#(###) ###-####email:***@******.***

While it is legal for a lawyer to send a demand letter, most also do it via mail rather than text. But they can't tell you that you'll be arrested if you don't pay.

Do not respond. They send the same message to random numbers, hoping to get a reply.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply WITHOUT RATING so I may address them. My goal is to provide you with excellent customer service. Otherwise, please rate my answer positively so I get credit for assisting you today. Mobile users may have to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney