I received a citation in colorado for posession of marijuana…

Customer Question
I received a citation...

I received a citation in colorado for posession of marijuana on national forest service ground but when I looked at the letter sent informing me if my court date I noticed that the date they have down for date of offense is for wrong date. The date they listed was a day that I wasn't even on national forest service ground but in fact at home. Is that enough to have the whole case against me dismissed?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes it was filed with the federal courts by the forest service rangers that gave us the citation and they sent a letter informing us of our court date because it was a mandatory appearance in court

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My boyfriend also received the same citation as well as several others for various violations like unlicensed vehicle but they were all dated for the wrong date

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
12/18/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 8 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Thank you

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The wrong date alone, would not likely result in this just being dismissed. It would be a defense you would have to raise at trial if you want to use an alibi, that you were not present on the day of the alleged offense and it was someone other than you who was there who used your identity. Moreover, the date can always be amended to reflect the proper date this happened so if they are aware of this, it could be changed. If you do go to trial and the officer remembers this and you and can identify you, the defense may fail

No

Chatting online is fine

even though the charge states thatvi was in posession of the marijuana on the 27th on national forest ground and on the 27th I was actually nowhere near national forest or marijuana but in fact home with my son, they can just amend the date in court ?
I went up the following day on the 28thvwhich is the actual date they gave me the citation

They could amend this if they are aware of it. You can certainly fight this but that would be an issue for trial and you arguing you were not present on the 27th and were home and testifying to the same and denying you were there. Once the trial starts, they could not amend this but if they are aware of it ahead of time, they could. Now, if you are going to fight this, you want to retain a criminal defense attorney so that they can work on this and start using and raising the defense and that you do have an alibi to your location on the date and time in question.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!