Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I had gotten a dangerous drug violation along with a a

Customer Question
Hello So I had...

Hello So I had gotten a dangerous drug violation along with a a misconduct involving wealpns and paraphanilia charge and a gun charged that is temporarily droped.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Az

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No but it gets worse

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

A few weeks later I get pulled over on thehighway for no insurance by a city cop and told him no on a search of my vehicle. he then told me my car would be impouded. I then gave him permission to search he found three xanax pills. he told me that he will make the charge go away if I snitch on someone which puts me in danger and he said he would hold the evidence for three weeks before filing the charge can he do this? HE NEVER GAVE ME a ticket for the pills only the insurance

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
12/18/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. What is your question about this?

Police will arrest street-level drug users and drug sellers, but they always hope to learn more about the local drug organizations so that they can arrest the big players in the drug cartels. To that effect they always offer cooperation deals to people they arrest for drugs.

The deals are only as good as your information. If you don't give them anything that leads to arrests, they will have you charged. Additionally, you are 100% correct: cooperating with the police can be dangerous to you and maybe even to your family.

You don't have to cooperate if you don't want to. Many arrestees will ignore the offer or contact the police and turn them down. The police do not have to arrest you on the day that they caught you. They have until the statute of limitations runs out on the crime to charge you. Once they realize you're not going to work for them, they will charge you with the drug offense. That much is pretty certain. It will join up with your other cases and you and your lawyer will just have one more case to fight.

Don't take up the police officer's offer unless you really intend to do good work for them. If you turn them down, and then change your mind once you get charged, you can always have your lawyer cut a cooperation deal with the prosecutor. That's safer anyhow. Police do not always honor the deals they make with people they arrest. The prosecutor, however, is an officer of the court, and he or she has to keep his word.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney