My daughter was on parole through South Dakota and violated…

Customer Question
My daughter was on...

My daughter was on parole through South Dakota and violated parole to come back to MN, where we have maintained residence as a tribal member for generations, she has been on the run for two years now, how do we begin straightening out this mess!

Lawyer's Assistant: Since parole regulations vary, can you tell me what state this is in?

South Dakota

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, had a hard time finding ones with jurisdiction, is what they tell me!

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She had drug charges and served time in Pierre SD, she is scared and wants to know how to start! She has three minor children here in MN.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
12/18/2017
Lawyer: Van, Retired Judge replied 5 months ago
Van
Van, Retired Judge

Hi my name is ***** ***** I believe I can assist you with this matter. The first thing your daughter needs to do is contact her parole officer. I'm sure that there is a warrant out for her arrest for failure to report. When was the last time your daughter made contact with her parole officer or reported to the parole office in South Dakota? Did she ever request that her parole be transferred to Minnesota?

she was working with a parole officer in Redwing MN, so she could start having contact with her children, social services here would not let her have contact with her children and she got frustrated and went back on the run! It will be two years sometime this month or next month, I don’t have exact dates! She has not been allowed to have contact with her children or the family for that length of time now. I’ve tried to talk her into getting back on track, I’m not sure what the situation is as no one will tell me what the situation is, privacy acts? I have power of attorney over her! I’m not sure how to try and help or proceed forward! She has been using, started with Percocet and evolved to heroine now! She is diabetic and almost died in June of 2017 from organ failure! I am in contact occasionally, she calls when she is in trouble, she contacted me and said she is ready to get help and come back home! I have the grandchildren every other weekend and I don’t want to jeopardize our situation, I wanted advice on what to do to rectify this issue. She has been to treatment numerous times some with her children, we have been dealing with this for years now, her oldest is 6! I have tried numerous times to get her back on track, there’s a lot of history. I made it clear that she needs a game plan and must follow through before I can help! I’m at wits end but would like to see her recover! I reached out to u for advice on how we should proceed! Thank you!

You have presented lots of issues here. I am willing to respond via messenger however I believe a phone call is the best way to address your multiple issues.

Before you do anything you should make sure to notify the DCS case worker that your daughter has reached out of help so that you do not cause your visitation rights to be terminated.

You should contact the parole officer so that you he/she can have your daughter's case ready to provide. Hopefully a term of her condition of returning to parole is to complete a treatment program.

Thanks for your response, I’m waiting on my daughter to make the commitment to this situation!
Tina, Lawyer