I have explained the details of a family situation to a

Customer Question
I have explained the...

I have explained the details of a family situation to a hospital mental health dept hotline. They told me that my wife to get an immediate psych evaluation. She refuses to go in for one and the paramedics responding to my 911 calls say they are not able to take her in because she has passed a soft questioning test that shows she is not coherent enough. How do I go about getting a petition to have her required to see a doctor?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The police and fire dept were in my home yesterday and today and the situation was explained fully to them.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It involves someone texting her impersonating a celebrity, her believing the person is the celebrity, but that person asking her to do "criminal" activities on their behalf.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/18/2017
Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Your initial reply is noted.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

I am sorry that you have to struggle with such a difficult situation. The only way that you can force her to be evaluated for this is to pursue an "involuntary commitment." This does not necessarily mean that she will be institutionalized. There is a process for out patient commitment.

The commitment is a legal proceeding where the court orders the person to be evaluated to determine if they are a harm to themselves or others.

Here are the forms for the Petitions:

http://www.dhs.state.il.us/onenetlibrary/12/documents/Forms/IL462-2210.pdf

http://www.dhs.state.il.us/onenetlibrary/12/documents/Forms/IL462-2005.pdf

It would be helpful to have a family law attorney assist you and also helpful to have her family physician support you.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

You can use this link to help you find a local family law attorney to assist you:

http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practicestate/family-law/illinois

I hope that you are able to get your wife the help she needs.

Kind regards,

Gerald