I booked a flight using the name I go by(Jerry) rather than…

Customer Question
I booked a flight...

I booked a flight using the name I go by(Jerry) rather than my legal name(Jarrell), which is shown on my drivers license. Rather than cancel my reservation and try to re-book, will TSA allow me to show my drivers license, and also multiple credit cards showing the name Jerry instead of Jarrell? If not, what other recourse other than cancelling( and also maybe losing my deposit) do I have?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Minnesota, going to Texas. I purchased the ticket about 48 hours ago.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/18/2017
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 7 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", "where is my answer", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

Technically, the ticket is supposed to match your exact name on your ID. However, I have seen a number of people using shortened forms of their name go through domestic flights with no issues. It really is dependent on the individuals at the airport as to whether they will let you do it since the law states the ID must match. Calling them ahead of time will just get someone telling you "no".

You can also consider contacting the airline and asking them if you can change the name. Often they will do it for free or a minor fee if you tell them it was a mistake.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Also, if you booked it through a website like Expedia, they can also make the change. I have seen them do it both free and I have also seen them charge a fee. I don't know what their deciding factor was between the two.

Here is some language that used to be on American Airlines website. I suspect all of the airlines have similar language:

"Legitimate changes to a passenger’s name will be accommodated. The agent will need to call AA Sales Support to complete the name change and retain the inventory. Legitimate name changes include spelling changes, changes to last names due to marriage or divorce and changes to prefixes (for example, Mr. to Dr.)."

I am about to sign off for the evening but should be back online tomorrow morning. I have had issues with the website allowing me to see and pick up questions for the last two days so if you respond and I don't get back with you tomorrow morning it is because I am having issues again and I will be with you as soon as I can clear them up.