Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was arrested back in august...all charges were

Customer Question
I was arrested back...

I was arrested back in august...all charges were dropped..bail bondsman bailed me out after 4 days. I never signed anything and now they want me to pay them $1000 after 4 months. Can they do this and do I have to pay them

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

California in San Diego in August 2017

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just want to know if I am obligated to pay them Thank you

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
12/17/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

If you contacted the bail bondsman to bail you out of jail, and he did so, then you would be legally obligated to pay him whatever the agreed on amount was for the service. The fact that the charges were later dropped wouldn't be legally relevant as to what services he performed in getting you out of jail..

.

He would have up to 2 years to sue you in court under a breach of oral contract claim if there was never a written contract signed..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney