Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Recently my interior decorator died unexpectedly. I

Customer Question
Recently my interior decorator...

Recently my interior decorator died unexpectedly. I currently have paid about $35,000 in deposits on new furniture which has not be received. He was in business alone, and I can't find anything on the internet even in terms of a memorial service. I have written to his assistant who has not responded. Do you have advice on how I should proceed?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am living in Maryland in a condo. The decorator lived in McLean.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not that I know of.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I had a good relationship with the decorator, and his death was unexpected. I do not wish to upset his family. All this furniture however was on order under his name and I suspect has arrived and is in storage. He was not close to his family and I am not sure what arrangements he had for his estate.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
12/17/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 2 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
In this situation his estate would be liable. You want to make a demand of the estate rep who should be appointed. An estate lawyer can make demand and if needed sue.A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me.Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as experts are not employees of the site and do not get any credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
INFOLAWYER, Attorney