Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have evidence a woman has information where my stolen dog…

Customer Question
I have evidence a...

I have evidence a woman has information where my stolen dog is and is refusing to tell me . either she or someone she knows stole my dog which is worth over $1000 and I have spent thousands of dollars trying to find him. what are my options

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

California. The Police will not question her because they say she has the right not to answer me .. so i am planning a civil suit if I can

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, except a brief conversation today and the lawyer said something about Civil conversion.. or conspiring to steal property

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am looking for legal representation as I need to know how to file or what I can do in a civil suit

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
Animal control officer also interviewed her and said he has no doubt she knows who has my dog based on the evidence that she called the ph number only that could be found on my lost dog's collar "tag". that ph number could not be found anywhere else. its non published number. After this lady found out she the number on the dog tag that she called could only be known if she or someone she knows had the dog.. she shut down and refused to talk to us. The phone call came in to us as a voice message after a News Story was written in a major newspaper about my lost dog on that same day. She said on the voice message that someone gave her the ph number and that my dog was roaming outside of her condo. We believe she made up the story that the dog was roaming to make it seem like he was still lost and roaming and not stolen. The animal control officer after interviewing 30 different neighbors concluded that she was lying.. no other neighbor saw the dog. and he told me based on everything that he believes she either is hiding the dog or she knows the person that has our dog. We reported our dog stolen to the police dept sept 18th, and have spent 10k total with canines, and everything possible to locate him.. This call from this lady came in Nov 22, 2017. We pleaded with her and she is refusing to talk to us anymore
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I'm waiting to be connected with a lawyer
12/17/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 2 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this. What evidence do you have?

This lady called the ph # that can only be known on my dog's dog tag. it was never put on any posters or anything and cannot be found online. The number she called is never used at all., we have it specifically for the dog tag in case he got lost. It is non published so impossible to know the number unless she had the dog
I have her voice message to that ph number
she claimed she saw my dog roaming in front of her condo.. to make it appear he was roaming and not taken/stolen. Animal Control interviewed her and all the neighbors and said she is lying and she knows where your dog is but won't tell us
is this civil conversion?
From a legal standpoint if the police will not investigate and make an arrest based upon the evidence you have, the next step would be to go after her civilly. It is a lower burden and you can sue for the return of the dog plus any other fees and costs incurred as a result of this. If she will not cooperate and return the dog you need to file a civil lawsuit
The police won't do anything. Can you give me some legal terms that I can use when I fill out the form., in the civil suit. I want to put in there if she tells us who has our dog that we will drop the suit. What is the best way to word this?
or perhaps I should not put that in there that I would drop the civil suit for return of dog? What is the best wordings (statement for the reason for suit) to use when I write this up?
wordings for demand to her as well that I need to send to her prior to filing? thanks
38; should I do this in small claims court?
You can start with a demand letter advising of the situation and if this can not be resolved you may have to proceed to court. You can share with her the evidence you have to compel her to return the dog or else you will need to go after her
If you retain counsel to sue and represent you you can go after her for those fees as well
Here is a nice overview and detail about the civil lawsuit and remedies.http://www.kinseylaw.com/clientserv2/civillitigationserv/conversion/conversion.html
ok, Can you please tell me if I should write the terms civil conversion on the small claims suit or just say conspiring to steal property? or neither?
can you find a lawyer in my zip code 92056 who can assist me to represent as well if it goes outside of small claims?
The site does not allow us to provide legal advice so I am unable to tell you what to write but you can include the causes of action that support your claim and include more than one. Here is also a link to locate local counsel if you desire.
http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Public/Need-Legal-Help/Lawyer-Referral-Service
LegalKnowledge, Attorney