Have an quick question i hope can get help from your team. I…

Customer Question
Hey i have an...

Hey i have an quick question i hope can get help from your team

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in indiana state

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nope

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/17/2017
Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. What is your question?

me and my roommate rent a apartment. usually the rent fee come out from my roommate checking account However my roommate graduate this year so he cut his card and didn't pay the rent for 2 months. So the landlord contact me to ask me to pay the rent. the thing is that i already pay my roommate the rent fee already , after i pay him the rent he cut his car and leave the state.in this situation what should i do ?

I am working on your answer now. Please bear with me it may take a few minutes.

thank you !

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

I am sorry that you are caught in this situation. Your room mate has taken advantage of you. He has set you up for having to pay the rent twice. Essentially he has stolen from you through this fraudulent action.

You will have to pay the landlord because he is entitled to the rent.

You can try to recover your money from your former room mate. You may have to sue him for it and the expense of suing in terms of time and money may be more than you wish to pay.

I am sorry that I have to be the person to give you this bad news. Perhaps the landlord will allow you additional time to pay the lost rent, but sadly it must be paid.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald