I was divorced Aug 15 2016. The documents were signed by my…

Customer Question
I was divorced Aug...

I was divorced Aug 15 2016. The documents were signed by my ex wife and myself on that day. There was a statement in the documents that said. if injured or lost of work I will not be responsible for spousal support. The following day I broke my ankle and received surgery in Dec 2016. The IRS garnished my wages 9/2016. I lost my business. I was served papers today stating my ex wife is taking me to court Tuesday for not giving her spousal support.I havent worked since the IRS garnished my wages. What should I expect in court?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Yes sorry WA state

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No just got the papers today

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I also had shoulder surgery Nov 9 2017 Im no longer working

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
12/17/2017
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 6 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

If there is a provision in your divorce agreement that releases you from your obligation to pay spousal support if you are injured, then you would prevail at the hearing. However, in order to prevail, you must find this document and bring it to Court to your hearing.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law