What is the statute of limitations for illegally selling…

What is the statute...

What is the statute of limitations for illegally selling Vicodin one time, specifically under federal law?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

This question relates to US or federal law.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to know if I could discuss this matter without fear of prosecution by federal authorities after 14 years?

12/16/2017
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

The statute of limitations would be five years from the incident. However, if during that time you were a fugitive from justice, the statute would be tolled. That means, the time would not run.

Great. I was never a fugitive so I would think I would be safe. I was wondering about the statute of limitations because I had read that under federal law, selling drugs can be a capital offense even without murder. The thought I had was, "if selling drugs is potentially a capital offense how could it have a statute of limitations?"

You would only have to worry about this as a capital offense if you were engaging in large scale international drug trafficking. That's not in your fact pattern.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Very good. Thank you!

You're very welcome. Best wishes for a happy holiday season.

Oh one other detail in the interest of full disclosure... While nothing was ever filed relating to this in court. It would not actually be accurate to say nothing was ever reported. Law enforcement was made aware of this matter back around 2011. Years after the incident.Anyway, thanks again and happy holidays to you as well.

You're welcome!