Can I take hard cheese on my carry-on baggage? California.

Customer Question
Can I take hard...

Can I take hard cheese on my carry-on baggage?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, but I plane to fly to Arizona and my wife ask me to bring french sheep cheese.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
12/16/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Under TSA rules, you can carry on food through security as long as it is packaged and wrapped or in a proper container. It would need to go through x-ray screening at the TSA checkpoint. So, yes, you could fly from CA to AZ with the cheese in your carry on if it is properly wrapped and or in a container, although TSA does suggest shipping it in a checked bag to make it easier at the check point as carrying on food can lead to additional inspection times.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.