Whitehead. I live at 1140 north capitol st n w I put in for…

Customer Question
Good morning. Lawyer's Assistant:...

Good morning.

Lawyer's Assistant: Hi. How can I help?

My name is ***** *****head. I live at 1140 north capitol st n w I put in for a transfer with a doctor letter about 2 years ago I'm 62 and my dr feels its best for me to move in a senior citizens building I have been giving the run around for the longest but a neighbor has just put in a transfer and she will be moving out soon I would like to know what can be done about the situation I feels like this discrimination

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washington dc

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet I would like to know what can I do to start the process

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm not sure what is can be done by me

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
I put the transfer in for health reasons
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/16/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

If your doctor's letter has expressed you have a qualified disability (one that permanently impairs a major life function) then housing should be allowing a transfer pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act if there are available units. Your first step is contacting the housing office to find out their reason for your delay. If they do not have any acceptable reason, then your next step is file a housing discrimination complaint with the Housing and Urban Development Office for violation of the Fair Housing Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act for denying you the accommodation for your disability. If they cannot resolve the issue, then you would need to get a local attorney, through legal aid if you cannot afford one, to sue for violation of your rights based on your disability.

If you do not have an actual disability described by your doctor, housing does not have to legally provide you the accommodation under the laws.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.