I got hit by a car about 18 years ago but the case was never…

Customer Question
Hello, i got hit...

Hello, i got hit by a car about 18 years ago but the case was never resolved. My question is, can anything still come from that now?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

New York and i don't know the age of the car, I was never involved in the case since I was a minor at the time

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes it was, I remember going to do check ups but it was somehow discontinued since my mom did not have the money to do all of that

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I still suffer from some of the injuries that I suffered so I just want to now if anything can be done at this point

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/16/2017
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

I'm sorry for the delay with your question.

I typed and sent it to you several days ago, but while reviewing the site only just realized it apparently never went through to you.

I've re-typed the information below, please let me know if you have any more questions, thanks!

Unfortunately the statute of limitations in NY for filing a civil personal injury lawsuit is 3 years from the date the injury occurred.

That means that unfortunately your case would now be time-barred.

I'm sorry to not have better news for you, the courts are bound by the statute of limitations.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!