I truly have no money, but I have a question. My father

Customer Question
I truly have no...

I truly have no money, but I have a question. My father passed in 2011 I am an only child, but my mother is living so I never asked about money or anything. My mother asked me what I wanted a few months ago so I made a list. She has said she will give me nothing and no money she said 1 or 2 million because my husband can't benefit from my father since he's disabled. I believe that when she passes I am the rightful heir. I don't want to live high on the hog I just don't want his money or jewelry going to someone other than me. I would like to make my own jewelry and I would like to have his Rolex fitted for me. Do I have any rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have never been given anything. She has had my 1st cousin draw up everything. He is an attorney in Foley, Al.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything right now.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/16/2017
Lawyer: Irwin Law, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney

Good morning. I am afraid that this information is not what you hoped to hear. As a daughter you are an heir at law, and you would inherit your mother's property, provided that she does not leave you out in her last will and testament, if any. There is no right to an inheritance that you can claim while the ancestor is still alive. If she does execute a will and you are not included, you have the right to contest the will. Your concerns about what you would like to have of your father's should be taken up with her as soon as possible.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would appreciate a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks for using JUST ANSWER.