In inaccuratly applied for snap benefits in nys? can my

Customer Question
In inaccuratly applied for...

In inaccuratly applied for snap benefits in nys? can my child be taken away for this? can i be arrested for such a thing?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Nys, in 2015

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I am currently under investigation

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I would like to take a contract work postition as I am very low on income etc. will this further put my child at risk for being taken away from me?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/15/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Typically, a mistake on an application for SNAP benefits would not result in your child being taken away from you. If the state prosecutes you for fraud, it's possible that the other parent could seek a custody modification on that basis. You would be able to ask that any hearings get continued until the case was resolved. But unless you're sent to jail, it's not likely that you would completely lose custody without other extenuating circumstances involved.

Accepting a new work position should not affect your custody situation, as long as the child is being cared for while you're at work. Courts don't expect people to have the ability to be stay-at-home parents.

Thank you so much!
Should I take any measure to ensure that my child won't be taken away while I pay these fines back to Department of Social Services?

The most important thing is to make sure the child is being cared for. That's what the state is interested in. If they've expressed specific concerns, you'd want to address those, but it's mainly about making sure the child is safe and healthy.

Do you have any questions about this?