Good afterrnoon. I need help w my student loan. I owed

Customer Question
Good afterrnoon. I need...

Good afterrnoon. I need help w my student loan.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I owed 81,921 in student loans through the us dept of education

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

SC but my loans were from IN and OH

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Has reported

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/15/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 7 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
what can I answer for you?
Well my federal student loan has been transferred to a debt collector and they are charging me an additional 20k at this time. Is that even legal
I’m quite frustrated w the situation bc that’s not even right that they are charging me 20,000$ for this.
No. Can only recover the amount owing and any interest per the terms of the loan giving credit for payments made.
Adding on amounts without basis is void and a court may void entire balance within discretion!
Well how do i make sure that this is taken care of
A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!
i would have a case
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as experts are not employees of the site and do not get any credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. Happy Holidays!