I am disabled. On a fixed in come. My rent was raised from…

Customer Question
I am disabled. On...

I am disabled. On a fixed in come. My rent was raised from $1310 to $1550' then because I didn't agree with it, nor sign a years lease $250 was added on. I am still on the sale one floor.....I need first floor and disability access. Aim on a limited income, but with these increases and normal life (well for me) I have spent most of this'll last month in the hospital. Are there any laws that Cain help me? Phone...***-***-****

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, with a lawyer through the rental complex, but nothing signed by me. I wanted to down grade to a 2 bedroom apt on the 1st floor, but to be expected to pay $1900.00 for a month I may be living under a bridge soon!

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't know, I have 1800.00 that I was going to pay this afternoon, but I need that first floor. I am not going to get better. I don't know what to do.they also told me the j2 bedroom was $1200. Then when I last paid I was told it was $1350. I don't get any of this.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/15/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Sometimes I just can't give good news to a customer and this is one of those times.. FL doesn't have any rent control laws so that means when a lease is up, the landlord can increase the rent as much as he wants and it is then up to the tenant whether to accept the increase or reject it and vacate. Is it morally wrong for the landlord to take advantage of your situation...absolutely. But legally the law is on his side because he has the right to rent his property for whatever he can get out of it.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

Hello again,.I just wanted to touch base with you and check in..Did you have any further questions I can help with?..Thanks muchBarrister