Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I need to evict my tenants and I’m not sure where to start.

Customer Question
I need to evict...

I need to evict my tenants and I’m not sure where to start

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Ny, Suffolk county

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/15/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

What is the reason for the eviction? are they behind on rent?

.

Have you given them any written notice to vacate?

.

.

thanks

They are behind so I can use this as a reason. I can’t prove the other things. Except destruction of property. I do have before pictures. The real problem is that the woman has mental problems and is constantly screaming at all hours. They are filthy people and now I had to call an exterminator. I can’t prove these things in court but I think just on being behind in rent should do it.

All you need is one good ground. So if they are behind on rent, that is all you need.

.

In New York the landlord can begin eviction proceedings by giving a 3 day written notice demanding payment of rent. After the 3 days were up, Landlord would have to go to court and file a complaint for eviction. Then the tenant has 5 days to respond or Landlord can get a default judgment. If tenant responds with an Answer within the 5 day period, the case will be set for a hearing to determine who should have legal possession. This can take several weeks to get scheduled depending on the court's docket. After the hearing, assuming the Landlord wins, the tenant has 72 hours to move. Then the Landlord can get a writ of possession from the sheriff, marshal, or constables office and have them personally appear and evict.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney