Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I've talked to 2 just answer lawyers that told me that the…

Customer Question
I've talked to 2...

I've talked to 2 just answer lawyers that told me that the case was to old and there was nothing to worry about. To bring you up to speed, i received a call from a collection agency about a check that was written back in 2006. I don't know if it's valid or not. They are trying to charge me with theif by conversion. The issue is 11 years old and ga has a 4 year statue of limitations. Just answer said they couldn't come after me with a civil suit either because of the age.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Ga

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I received a call from Atlanta municipal court asking about this case this morning. He said they will move forward with the warrant and he would let them know that I plan on fighting this.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Filed or report.. I'm not sure about that

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
12/15/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Loren, Attorney
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
The statute of limitations on debt for residents of the State of Georgia, is, as you know, four (4) years. In Georgia, this refers to most debt collection, checks, etc...Therefore, this debt is time barred.Additionally, it is illegal to threaten to have someone arrested for an unpaid debt. If this threat came from a law firm then you can file a complaint with the Georgia State Bar. Also, file a complaint with the state attorney general for the illegal collection practice.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Are you online with me?

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney