LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

Do I have to return old license plate to DMV? Recently

Greetings.
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: Do I have to return old license plate to DMV? Recently transferred title from TX to AZ (got new plate). I am wondering if I can keep my old plates (TX) (and possibly send them to collector in Europe) or do I have to return them.
JA: Regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: im in AZ.
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, i don't think so

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. No, Texas does not require you surrender the old plates. You could do what you want with them but it is encouraged that you destroy them so that they are not used by someone else, in a wrongful way, as you could be liable and it could fall back on you. It would be at your discretion to send them to a collector if you trust them but you do not need to return them.